Discover more from One little anthro
Muse #282 - deep pondering allowed
Today I am going to leave you with only a bunch of questions related to a scenario. This wonderful introduction was an ice-breaker at the meetup session I attended a few months ago in August.
Suppose a group of infants were raised on a desert island and all basic needs were taken care of— they are well-fed, loved, and nurtured. But critically, let us assume that the infants would never:
- be exposed to adult humans
- hear a language
- be exposed to numbers
- be tutored on moral values.
Once they mature, do you think they would:
- Have any sense of numbers?
- Favour “right” over “wrong”?
- Communicate using a system that resembles a human language?
- Have typical emotions?
Something to ponder about.